Cloud Computing is becoming an indispensable part of the technology-driven business world. The ease of running software applications on the Internet without having to install them on our laptops/mobiles has granted such an important position to cloud computing in enterprises.
Why does cloud computing matter?
Cloud computing offers manifold advantages to enterprises and provides them a competitive edge over non-cloud users. It helps you concentrate on your core competencies without worrying about your IT-related responsibilities. Some of the important benefits of cloud computing are explained as under:
1. Cost Savings: Switching to cloud computing cuts down your enterprise’s hardware and maintenance costs. You pay for only the services and features you subscribe to. The easy access to your company’s database on the Internet saves time and money as well. These factors offer higher returns on investment and lower operational costs.
2. Security: Security concerns might stop many organizations from switching to cloud-computing solutions. Though the concerns are genuine, it has a solution too. Your cloud service provider is aware of cyber threats and vulnerabilities. A cloud host continuously monitors the stored data more efficiently than an in-house system. It also saves your data from internal data theft by employees as sensitive information is kept offsite.
3. Flexibility: Cloud-based computing offers flexibility to your business as compared to hosting on a local server. Be it additional storage, extra bandwidth, or scalability, your demand can be met instantly without undergoing a complex update to your IT infrastructure. This flexibility helps in availing improved efficiency in your enterprise’s operations.
4. Mobility: The mobility feature of cloud computing offers ease of doing business while sitting anywhere on the globe. Your employees and clients can access corporate data in the cloud through mobiles and any other smart devices. This is beneficial for remote employees, freelance workers or traveling staff to perform their job without commuting daily to office. They can properly maintain a work-life balance and stay motivated while the business also keeps running.
5. Disaster Recovery: One of the important benefits of cloud-computing services is its quick data recovery service for all kinds of emergencies. A disaster has the potential of harming your enterprise’s data and results in loss of productivity, revenue, and reputation. Cloud-computing saves you from such disastrous situations.
6. Automatic Software Updates: With cloud-based applications, you don’t need to download and wait for the updates to get installed. All the important updates are installed automatically. This saves your enterprise from spending unwanted time and money.
7. Quality Control: Cloud-computing helps in maintaining a quality storage system and reporting process. Since all the documents are stored in one place in a single format, it ensures consistency in data. There are fewer chances of human errors and a clear record of changes are maintained. It also enables a transparent reporting system in the organization.
8. Loss prevention: Storing your organizations’ data in office computers makes it highly vulnerable to losses/damages. There are several factors, which might lead your computers to malfunction. There may be issues of viruses, obsolete technology, hardware deterioration and so on. With a cloud-based system, your information is safe and secured.
9. Sustainability: Cloud-computing helps in maintaining sustainability with less carbon footprint. It keeps a check on unwanted wastes as contrary to in-house systems. Enterprises need not keep a backup of their data in physical form thus promoting sustainability in the truest sense.